Uttarakhand’s Auli, also known as ‘The Mini Switzerland of India’, is a paradise for skiers in winters while in summers it is a delight for trekkers – an amphitheatre of high peaks & the best ski destination in India.
The place retains its beauty throughout the year but it has a different aura in winters when it can be seen in its best attire.
Some facts about Auli
* This amazing place lies in the Himalayan mountain range of Chamoli district (Uttarakhand).
* The elevation point is 2500 meters to 3050 meters above sea level. It lies on the way of the famed Hindu pilgrimage, Badrinath.
* It overlooks Nanda Devi, the second highest mountain peak in India.
* The Auli artificial lake holds the record of being the world’s highest man made lake.
* To reach Auli, you have to first get to Joshimath. From Joshimath you can either get a 10 km car ride to Auli or opt for the Auli ropeway (a cable car that is stretched over 4 kms taking you from Joshimath to Auli).
* The ropeway also holds the record for being the second highest ropeway in India (4 k.m.).
The high point of anyone’s trip to Auli is skiing! It has approximately 5 k.m. of slopy area covered with snow, which is best suited for skiers.
If you haven’t tried your hand at skiing before, you can come and take your first baby steps here because there are trained instructors available on site, ready to guide you for a fee on a per day basis.
You also don’t have to worry about how to get back up after gliding downwards to the bottom of the slopes because there are ski-lifts (for small slopes) and chair-lifts (for advanced slopes) to carry you back to the top of the mountain.
Carry plenty of warm clothing to survive the freezing Auli weather and just have fun!
It overlooks Himalayan worthies like Nanda Devi, Kamet, Mana Parbat and Dronagiri among other peaks. If you visit Auli in winters, the entire landscape will be gloriously painted white with shiny peaks all around you.
There are two options to reach Auli from Joshimath, the first one is to get on a 10 km car ride (if there is no heavy snowfall on the road), the second and the most thrilling option is to get on the Ropeway.
The charge for the ropeway (as of January, 2017) is Rs.750 (return ticket).
Hotels and accommodation:
Accommodation in Auli ranges from luxury resorts to budget hotels. There is a lot of demand for hotels in Auli due to its growing popularity. That’s why you need to check availability and confirm your bookings before arriving.
Best time to visit:
December to March
How to reach:
By air : nearest airport is Jolly Grant in Dehradun.
By rail : nearest junction is Haridwar junction.
By road : Auli is a 10 km drive from Joshimath. There are State transport and Union buses going regularly between Joshimath and Rishikesh.